Sunday, June 11, 2006

Thursday night: Weird

R.J., Chris B., Michael, Crystal, and Michael's friend Stephanie came over. We all played Family Business, a card game about mobsters shooting each other. Once it finished, I got Michael and R.J. to play chess, since I knew they are both enthusiasts. Stephanie and Crystal watched them play as I taught Chris B. how to play Jambo.

Every time I play Jambo, I like it less. It's a 2-player card game that looks cool, except that it isn't. You have turns that are setup turns, and you have turns that are do-something turns. It takes at least one game for people to figure out what to do, let alone get good at it.

Crystal, Michael, and Stephanie headed out right after the chess game, in search of more food. As Chris and I were a few turns away from finishing, Lee and R.J. got out San Juan, set up, shuffled, and started playing.

As soon as Chris and I realized we could be playing San Juan, we tossed the Jambo cards down and headed into the other room to play 4-player San Juan. We played, and Lee won by a single point. It was a tight game, except for me. I trailed in the back the entire time, having made at least 2 major blunders. Quitting Jambo was still the best option.

After that, Chris B. headed out, so R.J. and I played chess once. R.J. has played tournament-level chess, so I lost. It's been about 5 or 6 years since I've played chess against another person, as opposed to online opponents or computer games. It was nice to do that for a change, but I'm too obsessive to enjoy chess on a regular basis.

So, Family Business, Jambo, San Juan, chess...

Gamecount: Individual game sessions played for the year = 99, New game titles played for the year = 17.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home