Sunday, October 21, 2007

Trip down to Marty's place

Marty Hoff had a get-together down in Clear Lake. Lee's folks came into town to help her with the girls, so after getting Cori settled in for a nap, I went and picked up Larry for a drive across town (70 miles roundtrip).

We stopped at Jack-In-The-Box first for sirloin burgers. I had coupons from an ad circular, so we saved enough to make them worth considering. It's definitely a higher quality meat in the burger, and I will definitely eat more sirloin burgers in the future.

Once we got to Marty's, Kevin Nunn, his wife Debra, another Debra, Larry, and I played Kevin's game The Great Migration. He's self-publishing it through A.P.E. Games, so I'll get a signed-and-numbered copy of it soon. Get your copy now before they're all gone - he's only printing 200 ever!

Hector, Larry, Gene, Lewis, and I played To Court The King. I mentioned this a few months ago... it's the Euro-remake of Yahtzee. I'm glad to have played this - you start with three dice and recruit peasants and noblemen to get more dice and get ways of changing the dice numbers, all in an attempt to roll at least 7 of a kind. I think it took a little too long as a 5-player game. Marty commented from the other table that it does make a nice 3 or 4, though. Larry flat-out didn't like it.

Lewis, Debra, and I played Attika, then Yspahan. I like Attika a lot, but Yspahan hasn't done it for me after several tries. The whole thing just doesn't gel.

Random observation: several of the folks at the gaming party are headed to the Boardgamegeek convention in Dallas in November. Maybe in a dozen years when the girls can come with me, it'd be a fun trip. As it stands, not so much.

After Yspahan wrapped up (Lewis crushed us), it was time to grab Larry from the Crokinole table and head home to get the girls to bed.

Larry and I enjoyed looking over Marty's game collection - he's got them on open shelves for an uncrowded feeling that is a nice mix between efficient storage and game display.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home