Wednesday, June 08, 2005

50 smartest-dumbest things to do with your money

Money magazine has a list of 50 "Smartest" things to do with your money.

I've gone ahead and put "Smartest" in quotation marks. Here's two samples:

"Bundle your communication bills -
If you spend more than $50 a month on local and long-distance phone service from two different companies -- or more than $110 a month on phone, cable and high-speed Internet from three different ones -- you may be able to save up to 25 percent by ordering a bundled service from one provider.
Buy running shoes -
How is investing in $120 sneakers a smart money move? Let's see: Running reduces the risk of heart disease and stroke, lowers blood pressure and burns more calories than any other exercise -- for less than a $50-a-month gym membership. "

Sweet. Except, of course, I dropped my land line, because it was worthless. My cell phone comes with free national long distance after 9 pm. We have no cable television service, so I can't combine it with my high-speed Internet.

I bought one pair of excellent dress shoes for $70 several years ago, and had them repaired by a cobbler for $13. I have never spent more than $25 on shoes.

Here's two tips, from me:

-Drop every feature on your land line. Call waiting? Caller ID? 3-way calling? Useless. If you're paying any money at all for Caller ID, you are paying money to be a chicken, cowering in fear from potential callers.

-Buy a $50 pair of sneakers on sale for $25, and send me $100. Jerks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home