Sunday, October 08, 2006

Catch-Up: Thursday summary and mini-review of Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation

R.J. and Chris got here as Lee and I were putting the girls to bed, so they got to hang around downstairs and play Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation, a cute little two-player game.

R.J, Chris, Tim, Lee, and I played Medici. It was Tim's first taste of the game, and he did well. I lost, lost, lost, lost-ity-lost, for the second time in a row. I think Chris and I have different bidding strategies that aren't complementary. Lee won, also for the second time in a row.

Tim had to go, and after that.

R.J., Chris, and I were talking about games, and we decided to play a quick game of Ra (he is the sun god, that really cool one god, rah rah RA!). All three of us like it and are fairly familiar with it, and both of them own a copy. Chris ran away with the game and got a million-billion-bazillion points. I got an okay score (lost points on pharoahs each round, missed getting best bidding tiles by only 1 and giving those to Chris), but I did manage to get all my tiles used up. I've lost Ra twice in a row because I waited and waited to bid, then the round ended before I got much. Fun stuff.

R.J. headed out, and I examined Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation. It's a two-player game in a small box about the size of Transamerica. There's a square gameboard that is turned so each player has a corner pointed at them. A series of rectangular territories on the map have Lord of the Rings territories on them. Each player gets 9 action cards and nine stand-up hidden characters each with a different numerical strength rating and a special power. It plays a lot like Stratego, except faster and more Tolkienian. Not that there's anything wrong with that. There are extra, different action cards that can be added in as a handicap for one side or the other, and it was a cute game that I was happy to learn and play, and would play again. I

We hung out a little after that, and talked about good 2-player strategy games that last around 30 minutes. Lost Cities came up, as did the 2-player Settlers of Catan Card game, which is NOT anywhere near 30 minutes - more like 60-90 minutes instead. I also opened up my Cities and Knights of Catan box to talk about the many differences.

Gamecount: Individual game sessions played for the year = 153, New game titles played for the year = 28.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home