Monday, September 04, 2006

Thursday night: Chris brings a demo

Chris, Tim, R.J, and Rodney joined Lee and I for gaming on Tuesday.

We tried out a prototype Chris brought, by a friend of his. As R.J. pointed out, "There sure are a lot of colors on here for this to have been designed by a color-blind person." It was about building hexagons by matching colors, with various kinds of bees on the tiles that gave extra points or let you break placement rules. I headed upstairs to put Alex to bed, and the crew played out 3 games going from easy, intermediate, and advanced rules.

The reaction was okay - I'd like to see how kids play it. There was something missing for me, but overall, the group thought it was okay.

After that, Rodney and Tim had to go, and I got Lord of the Fries off the shelf. I demo'ed this game some during my Cheapass Games demo days, and like it quite a bit. It involves choosing various combination meals off a clever little menu, as players compete to rid their hands of ingredients. It's fairly chaotic, and I lost big-time. It does take a little bit to learn the menus, so it's a little slow at first, which is just death for demo purposes.

The newer color edition of Lord of the Fries has several new menus and ingredients, most of which I haven't played. Everyone enjoyed the game, so I could see getting this out more often.

Gamecount: Individual game sessions played for the year = 141, New game titles played for the year = 26.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home