Thursday, August 24, 2006

Houston Gamers: I learn two new games

I made it to the Houston Gamers on Saturday out at Enigmas. The owner threw an anniversary party for the store, and gave away more than $200 of games, plus put out a lot of snacks.

I ended up learning Beowulf, a game about following Beowulf around and waiting for him to die. Uh, no, really, that's the deal. It has a lot of physical similarity to Reiner Knizia's Lord of the Rings game, but that game is cooperative, and Beowulf isn't. Basically, you have a series of auctions in a variety of suits of cards, where winning early auctions can give you one-shot special powers in later auctions.

Eeh, it was okay, and I can see how it might be nice to play as a change from all the other auction games in my collection.

Len, other Todd, and Crystal also got a little ways into one of Kevin's prototypes about competing TV stations, but we had to call it a night before we finished. We were about 3 auctions in when I realized that it was past 11:30 p.m. and I just didn't want to do 17 more auctions, then take part in working out the complicated scoring. I felt dumb, but it was the right call.

Crystal and Len ended up playing Blue Moon as I did a terrible job of explaining the rules. I have GOT to practice teaching games to people. I used to have at least a half-dozen where I could keep people's attention. I think it comes from not being able to use my showman's voice at home on the regular game night... too much huddling around a table, unlike my convention performances where I'm free to strut about and ham it up.

I used up the last of some spending cash I had to pick up another Blue Moon deck for myself. There are 7 more decks I hypothetically could buy, but eeh, I expect to live another 60 or 70 years, so that should do me for a decade or so.

Gamecount: Individual game sessions played for the year = 135, New game titles played for the year = 25.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home