Sunday, November 06, 2005

Saturday summary: quick trip to Houston Gamers meeting

Even if most of the hard-core gamers were in Dallas for the first annual Boardgamegeek.com convention, we still had a reasonable turnout.

When I got there sometime between 9 and 10 in the evening, there were 2 tables, one finishing some game on a map of Europe, the other finishing Settlers of Catan. One table shifted to Power Grid, and I talked with some of my buddies for a few minutes, before they bailed.

I still managed to get in a 2-player game of San Juan, which I won, and a 3-player game of San Juan, which I lost. I ended up as the last boardgamer in a host of Magic players deep into a tournament.

Some people show up with giant plastic tubs full of boardgames. Most times, I leave all my collection at home. This is for several reasons:

1. I'm lazy.
2. The hardcores have way cooler and rarer games than I do.
3. I also like most of the popular games and am not picky.
4. Sometimes, I don't want to have to explain rules. Sure, I'll teach games, but I don't have a well-thought-out plan of explanation for all the games in my collection.
5. Analysis-paralysis. What to pack, and what to leave?

My approach works great, overall. I love San Juan, and there was a copy at each table. When I walk in, I know I have to be flexible. It also encourages looking at other people's travel collections to see what they pack, and how they're arranging the boxes.

I do have several games I ought to bring to the next meeting, including Cheapass Games' Captain Treasure Boots and Secret Tijuana Deathmatch, which I haven't played, and Medici, one of my favorite auction games.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home