Monday, October 17, 2005

Godspeed, Games Journal, also no Essen for me

Greg Alecnevius has ceased production of new issues of The Games Journal after 5 years of quality boardgame coverage. Damn. Greg's a heck of a nice guy, and a few years ago sold me a copy of Loopin' Louie for a reasonable price, if I remember correctly. That's the crazy thing about the boardgame hobby: the same people keep popping up over and over again.

Not to hum any bars of 'Video Killed The Radio Star,' but in the end, I'm guessing the constant presence of the Boardgamegeek was draining potential articles away.

There's so much of the 'Geek that's ephemeral, and lots of it that's mediocre. The same interaction with the community that creates great conversations also provides for a lot of "Identify This Old Game" and "How Many Games Is Too Many?" posts. Sure, I read it all the time, and it's my number-one bookmark in both my browsers. The Games Journal accumulated a huge mass of well-written articles and reviews in 5 years.

Also, logically enough, I continued my tradition of NOT going to Essen, Germany for the giant gaming convention every year. At least this year I had an excuse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home