Thursday, October 13, 2005

Weird day at work

What I did on my birthday:

1. brought donuts for the entire department, which got me hailed as "the man" and also "the bomb," in earnest.
2. gave my copy of Runebound to my friend Tom, since his son Chris is ~13 and will utterly groove on it.
3. actually worked some.
4. gave away a bag of comics to a friend at work.

I talked about blogs and stuff with a couple of my department managers . Soo, if Jeff or Scott are reading this right now, see, I'm still totally harmless and not giving away vital/deadly secrets at all.

Our conversation went like this:

Me: Yeah, I signed up with Google AdSense. It's this ad program.
Jeff: It paid you... (quizzical pause)
Me: Uh, nothing yet. Seriously, Flexo makes great cash. It's beer money if it ever does pay out.
Scott: (unconvinced grunt).
Me: (flailing for Scott's interests): It's gun money!
Jeff: Well, reload money, maybe.
Scott: (convinced grunt).

It was kinda cool. I talked about Robert Scoble and Raymond Chen's Microsoft blogs, and Kathy Sierra's Creating Passionate Users blog. I didn't talk about Mike Pope or Elizabeth Grigg or Rory Blyth. I didn't talk about how our company is discussed on industry message boards. I didn't talk about needing to fit what I do at work into a larger sense of technology's progress overall, or how I'm worried that our company lives in a vacuum, or that we ask simultaneously too much and too little from our new hires.

Jeff's our department Access guru, and my boss' boss. Scott will come up and ask me weird , intricate questions out of nowhere. That's my element, so it works out pretty well. I've solved some oddball problems over the years.

Jeff had found my earlier Angelfire page a couple of years ago and read my anime and game reviews (and did not fire me or mock me in public in any way, so that says a lot about Jeff's tolerance and coolness level--after having seen more than the first few episodes, I can say with confidence: Love Hina sucks). They haven't read good blogs, so they can't imagine how blogs can be useful. Until you read Joel Spolsky and he destroys your company's business model, you don't understand the power of blogs. Raymond Chen's put a face on Microsoft for me. It's not an evil empire. They're just guys, trying to get by, just like us except for having tons of Microsoft stock.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home