Sunday, July 02, 2006

Houston Gamers: I win at Power Grid

My friend Larry called me back and asked if I wanted to carpool to the Houston Gamers, and I said, "Heck yeah!"

As we arrived, Jean and R.J. were about to start Twilight Struggle, but as it is 2-player only, they paused for a second. The Power Grid box was in plain sight.

I said, "Okay, Larry's sharp, let's play Power Grid." Jean ran through the rules fairly quickly, and Doug P. joined us.

It was an interesting game. Fresh from learning it a couple weeks ago, I did a better job of planning my resource purchases and building. Jenny took over Doug P.'s spot about halfway through.

As it happened, I almost bought 15 cities and ended the game, but couldn't. The next round, I built cities 15 and 16, powered them when no one else could, and won. It was a tight game.

Larry had a good time, too. I know R.J.'s got a copy, so I'm hoping we can try this out again soon. We also finished a 5-player game in less than 2.5 hours, so that's encouraging. I had been thinking of this as too long for me to buy. It turns out to move along quite nicely.

Gamecount: Individual game sessions played for the year = 114, New game titles played for the year = 18.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home