Monday, January 08, 2007

Bought some domain names...

I bought some domain names last night.

As I did so, I reflected on the number of ways you can spell my name incorrectly. There are those that advise the purchase of badly-spelled names, so other people can't buy the domain names, and mis-use them. Most of this advice comes from domain-name sales companies.

There are 2 D's in my name, so certainly one of them is optional. I never had this problem until I worked at The Very Authoritarian Software Company. One of my managers was named Tod and had worked there since Apple was still a gleam in Steve Jobs' eye, so it was understandable when people bobbled my first name. My last name was still misspelled on numerous occasions, in spite of the readily-available company directory and the MS Outlook auto-complete feature.

My last name is Derscheid. My wife went from having an easy maiden name (Watson) to a terrible name (Derscheid). She did go from having a terrible middle name to a kick-ass one, so it was basically a wash.

Ways my name has been incorrectly spelled:
  • Derschied
  • Dersheid
  • Dersheid
  • Dershild
  • Dershilde
  • Dersheild
  • Dershfeld
  • Deersheld
  • Dershowitz
When I do board game demonstrations, I like to go ahead and get people's names up front, so I can use them on the fly. It keeps people from saying, "I rob Blue Shirt Guy" and fosters a certain level of common decency with my players.

To quote Dale Carnegie, "Cops/come and try to snatch my crops." Wait. That was Cypress Hill.

Carnegie actually said, "Remember that a man's name is to him the sweetest and most important sound in any language," which has been Bowdlerized into "Remember that a person's name is to that person the sweetest and most important sound in any language." Someday, Strunk and White will rise as undead lich-kings, and drink the brain-meats of the subhuman filth that watered down Carnegie's classic manual for How to Win Friends and Influence People. I like how the cringe-inducing "Arouse in the other person an eager want," hasn't been adjusted yet.

More news on the domain names as I get the pages usable...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home