Sunday, November 21, 2010

Book Review: Lev Grossman's The Magicians - buy it

I've been thinking about it, and Lev Grossman's fine novel The Magicians was so good, I finally broke down and bought a copy with some Borders credit I had gotten for my birthday.  My capsule synopsis: "Protagonist Quentin Coldwater ends up in a magical prep school and has a terrible time of it," hardly captures the engrossing nature of the novel.

Grossman paints a picture of a dynamic, sometimes vicious universe, much like our own, but more magical.  This is the best novel I've read in at least a decade. The Magicians carries an emotional heft that leaves me thinking about the plot twists and bigger issues long after I've put the book down.

This is the book my literary buddies and fellow fantasy readers are getting for Christmas.

It's loaded with surprises and dire, holy-crap-didn't-see-that-coming perils, both physical and emotional.

1 Comments:

Blogger __ Eric Martin said...

Yeah, loved this book. Like Harry Potter for adults, this is my favourite fantasy novel to come out in the last 5 years. More people need to know and read about this...

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home