Sunday, December 02, 2007

Busy Sunday plus musings on finality

This afternoon, I took Alex over to Tim and Catherine's housewarming party. Each of them have their own room for creativity, Tim with his guitar, and Catherine with her piano. (Tim's cyberpunk game prototype is in his room, as well.) Alex ate chips and I had brisket and many other delicacies.



After that, Alex and I met Lee and Cori at church. After getting Alex situated, I headed over to Larry's place, with my copy of Blue Moon City. As it turned out, he had just downloaded Puzzle Quest on his XBox, so we played that instead. I'll probably buy the PC version when it comes out early next year, since I don't have an XBox.



Other than that, it was a quiet weekend. I am working on two game designs, both likely to expire in the pre-prototype stage. Generally, I take notes and do diagrams until I get bored with the topic, or realize I'm not interested enough in creating a physical prototype. I am noodling around in Paint.NET with maps for one. Both games are roughly about Iowa, so even though I moved to Texas a decade ago for school, it's still on my mind a lot of the time.



Of course, with new baby on the way soon, I'm compiling these notes half-frantically, trying to get to critical mass on them, where the project will have enough well-formed ideas to withstand the hit of adding baby #3 to the mix.


This Thursday is the last regularly-scheduled game night at our place before the Baby Break. We've had a lot of fun, and it's been a good way for us to keep in touch with friends and had many drop-in visitors as well. Game Night forces us to stay social and keeps the dining room table cleared at least once a week. It's also been great to keep in touch with friends on a face-to-face basis weekly, rather than just by email or phone.


I took the time to revise my wantlist on BoardGameGeek and dropped out anything with a rating lower than 6, except the niche game "ad acta" and Formidiable Foes, which is what I should have bought, instead of Fearsome Floors. Anything I didn't recognize from the title, I dropped, and anything collectible, I dropped. That leaves me with a mere 30 games on my wantlist, few of which are likely to appear in my collection in 2008, due to the time factor. Other than a preorder of Agricola and buying Kevin Nunn's self-published The Great Migration, I doubt much is going to happen to expand my collection next year. That's still two great games to anticipate. Also, I expect R.J.'s copy of Race For The Galaxy to see a lot of play.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home