Monday, September 12, 2005

Toilet training

I am learning how to re-seat toilets. Specifically, our downstairs Ferguson* sprung a leak at the base, causing me to contemplate my good fortune at having a house at all, let alone electricity and two nearly-working full baths upstairs.

At work, one of my co-workers told me a horrific story of survival he heard from some Katrina survivors who were on a plane with him from Houston to Detroit. It was pretty awful, and I don't think I want to burden anyone else with it.

I bought a no-wax rubber seal at Home Depot, came home, and removed the toilet from his mighty moorings. This was after carefully scooping out all the water I possibly could, then sopping up the rest with a towel. I set the toilet on its side. At that point, I cleaned up some of my mess, and left it. I didn't want to get too far ahead. Next step: remove all of the old wax, and see if the original bolts are going to work. If not, back to Home Depot for a second set.

-------------------------------------------------------
*Our toilets probably are not manufactured by the Ferguson corporation, but I have nevertheless fixated upon that nickname for a commode ever since viewing a "Married With Children" episode centered around the Ferguson brand. What can I say? I am a slave to almost everything I knew when I was 13, and virtually nothing I have learned since.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home