Sunday, December 10, 2006

Sunday at Larry's: Power Grid!

After last night's game, Lee and I stayed up too late. I am in the middle of reading Judith Levine's Not Buying It, which is great.

Anyway, Lee and I were awakened by Alex, and after a brief period of playing "tent," I took Alex downstairs so Lee could rest a little longer.

While Lee was asleep:
  • I made tabouli; this is my first try and I couldn't help snitching some throughout the day. Beth's friend Roxanne makes amazing tabouli, and mine isn't as good. On the other hand, I also didn't work as hard at it.
  • I filled the dishwasher, cleaned off the counter, ground coffee, made coffee, and transferred the peanut oil from my last batch of sweet potato chips from the big pot into a glass applesauce jar.
  • I fed Alex breakfast.
  • I made Alex and I some couscous. She's not as adventurous an eater as I want yet, but she did eat a couple bites. To make sure she loves it, I mixed hers with peanut butter; this works as a mix for me, too.
Cori slept in past 10 in the morning, so after all of us had lunch, I put Alex down for a nap and laid down, too. Lee headed off to buy groceries, with Cori in tow.

After she got back, I took them to church and dropped the girls off at their Sunday School classes, and headed to Larry's to play a quick 2-player game of Power Grid, and give him the Benelux & Central Europe expansion map. This was our first try at the 2-player variant. It's a little different - 3 sections on the map are used and 3 are blocked off, the auctions are rarely as spirited, and someone must build all 21 cities to trigger the endgame.

As it happened, I moved slightly ahead in city-building, and ended up triggering the endgame by building the 21st city, with only 2 Electros to spare. Larry could only power 15 cities, and I could power 17. Victory!

We managed to play the whole game in just over an hour and 15 minutes, which is great. Power Grid has proven to be a hit with everyone in our gaming group. Given the spectrum of experience and demeanor, I'm glad that we've managed to find a happy compromise.

Gamecount: Individual game sessions played for the year = 191, New game titles played for the year = 41

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home